The University of Michigan offers benefits for adult dependents who meet the requirements of the Other Qualified Adult (OQA) category. Although U-M does not offer benefits based on a domestic partnership, coverage for an adult who shares a primary residence with the U-M employee can be elected when all OQA requirements are met:
- The employee is eligible for U-M benefits; and
- The employee does not already enroll a spouse in health or other benefits; and
- The Other Qualified Adult, at the time of proposed enrollment, shares a primary residence with the employee and has done so for the previous 6 continuous months, other than as an employee or tenant.
- Criteria for Other Qualified Adult (OQA) status, policy effective, January 1, 2008; amended, January 1, 2009.
- University of Michigan Faculty Handbook; Dependents